Friday, July 15, 2011

Boundaries

Boundaries. Some people need to learn to respect them.
Today, I got paid and spent most of my paycheck at H&M. There was an asian guy who skipped the fitting room line and attempted to try on polos behind the desk in a corner. The lady yelled at him and told him that he'd have to wait. So he stood behind me giggling. And breathed down my neck the whole time.
Then, he asked me if I came to H&M often. I told him, "No, I'm just getting new stuff for my uniform."
"Well, I like the stuff but I'm too fat for everything here."
My mind said, "Oh, pity. Maybe you should do something about that, you slob."
My mouth said, " Oh. Well, I have decent luck with just about everything."
He said, "I take that as an insult."

WHAT? You just got done trying to change in front of everyone and you're worried about me degrading you? I'm sorry, but you just stepped over the boundary of keeping Ryan happy. You completely ruined your chances by breathing down my neck and trying to try on a polo in front of everyone. I was really ticked.

I said, "I didn't mean to insult you."
Thankfully by this time, it was my turn for a dressing room.
"How many?" the lady asked.
"Six."
She looked at me and said, "No, you have seven. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven."
My mind said, "Go back to 1st grade. I have 6 things."
My mouth said, "No, I have 6 things. See? 2 shirts, a cardigan, a pair of shorts, 2 pairs of pants. That's 6."
She gave me a blank stare.
"You have 7 things, don't get sassy with me."
So, I got sassy. I laid everything out. One at a time. The asian guy who ticked me off giggled.
"ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR, FIVE, SIX."
She said, "Oh. Room Two."
After 3 minutes, as I was trying to squeeze into pants that obviously wouldn't fit, she knocked and wanted to know how much longer I'd be. Boundaries. You already ticked me off.
My mind said, "SHUT THE FRONT DOOR ALREADY NO ONE LIKES YOU."
My mouth said, "Five more minutes!"

I'm too nice. I have too much patience.

1 comment: